Congratulations to the people of Russia & Qatar (and the rest of the Middle East). I am really pleased for you and hope you enjoy the World Cups and that your nations benefit in a positive way.
Of course, being an Englishman, I was gutted that England did not win the vote. And my favourite for 2022 would have been Australia. But never mind there is no point having sour grapes and I am not writing this post out of bitterness. However, I am disappointed with the outcome of the FIFA voting and especially that Qatar won.
Reasons Qatar should not host the World Cup
- They have no football heritage
- They have never qualified for a World Cup and only once got past the first round of the Asian Cup
- There are huge amounts of commercial opportunities for FIFA through choosing Qatar – this is not a viable reason for choosing a nation to host a tournament
- Travelling and staying in Qatar will be a nightmare for the average fan
- Qatar are super-rich and can simply build the best stadiums and complexes and would have been able to put on extraordinary hospitality for FIFA delegates – it goes against everything that was great about the World Cup in South Africa
Reasons why Qatar should host the World Cup
- It will be great for the people of the Middle East to have a home tournament.
- The stadiums look incredible!
Reasons Russia should not host the World Cup
- Few people would dispute that Russia is a nation full of corruption – given the recent accusations towards FIFA one wonders if there are some dodgy dealings going on
- They have not qualified for the last two World Cups – I hate nations getting free places at tournaments when they would have been unlikely to qualify otherwise (eg Ukraine & Poland at the next European Championships)
Reasons Russia should host the World Cup
- They have a great footballing heritage – from 1958-1972 USSR made it to eight major quarter-finals and won the European Championships in 1960 (something England never did!)
- They have never hosted a major tournament before
- Many cities will benefit from hosting matches
I think us English need to get over our superiority complex. We have no divine right to host or win major football tournaments. Only 2 delegates voted for the England bid! And I think we can assume one of those was our own Geoff Thompson! That’s pretty embarrassing and shows that we must have had a very poor bid.
What are your thoughts…..?